Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Would You Save Paljor?

On page 252 and 253, the book talks about a Ladakhi climber named Paljor. He had been outside all night without shelter or oxygen, and had suffered severe frostbite. In the morning the Japanese climbing team passed by him. They had seen him lying in the snow, moaning, but they didn't want to give up their chance at the summit by saving him. If you saw a man lying helplessly on the side of the path you were climbing, and you were very close to the top, what would you do?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I were climbing Everest, and I were really close to the summit, I would still save try to save a man that was lying on the side of the road. If I thought I could save the man after I got to the summit I would climb to the top first. It would be really hard to give up a chance at the summit for a dying man’s life. It would be really hard if you had waited for your whole life for this chance, and then endured unimaginable hardships, just to give it all up when you can actually see the summit. But, if you hadn’t saved the man, you wouldn’t be able to live with yourself.

ogeorge said...

i would save him because we would be so close to the mountain's summit that we could afford to rescue him. Also if i didn't rescue him i would feel really guilty and it would always be on my mind. Also you don't have a time limit to gety up the mountain so they could afford the time to save him.

mhermann said...

I think Jon had difficult time writing about his experience because he felt guilty. He was feeling guilty about the fact he left Andy Harris. He left Andy Harris with hypoxia. I wonder why he didn’t get him a full tank of oxygen, instead of saying “Whatever Andy,” and leaving. He could have saved his life, but no he left him there with impaired judgment. He also could have helped his teammates search for the lost people. But he was too tired. I think he was guilty of making bad decisions and that led to people’s injuries and death. And the guilt made it hard to write about.