Thursday, February 15, 2007

Give up or Struggle?

On pages 263 and 264, Beck Weathers stumbles back into camp after everyone thought he was dead. He described his experience as being in a dream, and being comfortable until he figured he had to do something about his situation. If you were in his position, severely frostbitten, practically blind, and near death, would you let yourself die, or struggle back to help?

Personally, I would try to make it back to camp. I would not want to die without saying goodbye to everyone I care about, and I would want to make it to the bottom of the mountain and stand in the glory of taking on the mountain. I would try to get back to camp and find a doctor, and if I didn’t make it, I would be content in everyone knowing I didn’t just give up.

No comments: