Thursday, February 8, 2007

Would You Climb Everest?

If you were a pretty good mountain climber and you got an offer to climb Mt.Everest with a guided group, would you accept it?
I would not. I wanted to climb Mount Everest ever since I heard that it is the tallest mountain in the whole world, but I never expected there to be so much suffering. I never knew the altitude sickness could be extremely life threatening. I never thought of the headaches or the digestive problems. I would also be extremely disturbed to see corpses by the road. I know that climbing Everest would be very exciting and interesting, but it is not for me.

3 comments:

M. Kim said...

Surprisingly for me, I actually would climb Everest. I’ve always wondered what it would feel like to be on top of the world looking out at the beautiful and scary scenery. Even though there would be terrible sickness and suffering, it could be seen as a lesson on building character. And if I were to die on the mountain and be buried there, I would have died doing something that I’ve always dreamed of doing. If I reached the summit and made it back down, I would be known as a temporary celebrity and I would receive the satisfaction from completing such a dangerous task as climbing Everest. These are the reasons that I would climb Everest.

Katherine Lin said...

I probably would decide to climb Mt. Everest. It would be fascinating to look over the scenery from the top of the world, and like Dabin said, it would be a very good lesson on building character. Although death by severe altitude sickness is intimidating, it is just like any other death. Death is death, and since everyone will die at some point, why not die climbing Everest if one wants to climb it? I agree with Gowri, however, in saying that a lot of corpses all over the mountain would disturb me.

kdesloge said...

I would probably decide not to climb Everest. The reason I would not climb Everest is because there is a very good chance I would not be coming back down. I would not want to risk my life to climb a mountain that I have no reason to climb. It would just be valuable time away from my family. That is why I would not climb Everest.